Year End Review of 2010’s Best Vampire Fiction
December seems the ideal time to have a quick look back over this year’s book reviews and have a go at picking out my favourites for the year that’s passed. I’ve been more miserly than Scrooge this year when it’s come to giving away 5 star review ratings so all of the books in this selection are truly exceptional.
Top urban fantasy picks go to Ilona Andrews whose writing is just going from strength to strength, and to Jim Butcher who really shook up the established order of his Dresden files series with Changes this year.
In paranormal romance Kresley Cole’s IAD series is still one of the hottest around and Demon From The Dark with its romance, demons, magic and vampires is one of her best books yet. Changeless by Gail Carriger has got to be one of the most original fantasy romances ever written, set in a steampunk Victorian England populated with werewolves, ghosts and vampires.
Justin Cronin’s The Passage is the most amazingly written horror novel, serving up apocalyptic vampires with literary style. And finally to Marta Acosta’s Haunted Honeymoon. This was scheduled to be my summer holiday reading (or would have been if I could have kept my hands off it until my holiday started!) it’s a hard book to pigeon-hole because it combines romance and urban fantasy with classic comedy-of-manners situations but all readers really need to know is it’s funny and extraordinary.
Looking ahead to spring 2011 I’ve picked some books that I’m eagerly looking forward to reading… – Amanda
Featured Best vampire Fiction2010 Top Picks
Featured Best vampire FictionEagerly awaited books for 2011
J. R Ward
New for March 2011
New for March 2011
- Changeling Moon by Dani Harper - reviewed 24th June 2011
- Twilight Forever Rising by Lena Meydan - reviewed 20th June 2011
- Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian - reviewed 15th June 2011
- Kisses From Hell by Kelley Armstrong, Richelle Mead et al. - reviewed 11th June 2011
- Frostbound by Sharon Ashwood - reviewed 7th June 2011
- The Vampire Stories of Nancy Kilpatrick by Nancy Kilpatrick - reviewed 3rd June 2011
- On The Edge by Ilona Andrews - reviewed 1st June 2011
- Side Jobs by Jim Butcher - reviewed 6th May 2011
- Blood & Ice by Robert Masello - reviewed 6th May 2011
- Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris - reviewed 1st May 2011
- 13 Bullets by David Wellington - reviewed 29th April 2011
Nightshade is the first book in an exciting new vampire series by award-winning paranormal romance author, Michelle Rowen. As a fan of dark fantasy romance I found this book to be a moreish treat – which I quickly devoured and instantly wanted more...
Read our Nightshade review.
The vaguely attentive LoveVampires subscriber will have noticed that we’ve recently been raving about Deborah Harkness’s debut fictional novel, A Discovery of Witches. Imagine our excitement when she consented to be interviewed (squee!) Deborah talks to LoveVampires about her new novel, wine and why she’d rather be a vampire…
Read the Deborah Harkness interview
Subscribe to the LoveVampires email newsletter and get site news, reviews and information delivered direct to your mailbox.
Join the mailing list
- = Poor
- = Below average
- = Average
- = Good
- = Excellent